In your journals, as fast as you can, write down as many words as you can that:
- start with “tr”
- start with “ch”
- start with “la”
- end in “le”
- end in “er”
- end in “ous”
- start with “dr”
- end in “ion”
- start with “z”
- start with “qu”
This exercise ought to tire that monkey mind right out and get you sleepy again.
Here is an exercise to try with your journal when you can’t sleep. This idea was inspired by the Best Places to Kiss in _____ book series. You can keep writing until you get sleepy again.
Write a list of:
- The Best Places to have coffee with a friend
- The Best Places to go on a first date
- The Best Places to kiss
- The Best places to get engaged
- The best places to have a wedding
- The best places to go on a honeymoon
- The best places to go on a bookstore browse
- The Best Places to take a walk
- The Best Places to enjoy unspoiled wilderness
- The Best Places to window shop
- The Best Places to write on your laptop
- The Best Places to work out
- The Best Places to hide when you want some solitude
- The Best Places to party
- The Best Places to take your kids out to eat
- The best Places to go on date night
- The Best places to go to enjoy a water view
- The Best places to go to enjoy a mountain view
- The best places to go to enjoy a sunrise
- The Best places to go to enjoy a sunset
- The best places to go on a cruise
- The Best places to go when you need a vacation
- The best places to go when you need to connect with others
- The Best places to go camping
- The best places to go running
- The best places to go when it is hot and sunny outside
- The best places to go when it is rainy outside
You get the idea. Come up with more ideas of your own. Writing lists is always a great journal writing exercise. It is simple and it gets your mind on something else besides your not sleeping… have fun.
In your journal, write down all of things in your life you are thankful for. This gratitude list can be an ongoing feature in your journal… what we appreciate, appreciates! And, getting in a grateful state helps to get us out of our funky, anxious states of mind into a more positive state.
Making lists in our journals when we can’t sleep is a good mental exercise that will get our minds off our insomnia and hopefully will get us sleepy again.
Here is a listing exercise to try:
Make a list of all movies of a certain genre (ex: all horror movies, all chick flick movies, classics, thrillers etc.) that you can think of
Make a list of your all time favorite movies
Make a list of the worst movies you have ever seen
Make a list of movies that make you cry
Make a list of movies that make you laugh
Make a list of every Oscar winning film that you can think of
Sometimes doing something kind of mentally challenging will get our minds off our insomnia and back into slumberland.
In your journals, pick a letter of the alphabet and list as many words as you can that start with that letter.
Keep going until you are tapped out and then start a list with another letter. Sooner or later, your mind will grow tired.
Have fun, and good night.
What makes you happy? Get out your journal and write down as many things as you can that make you smile, your heart sing, make you want to thank God that you are alive! Do it now.
Write down everything you can think of that you are thankful for right now. Do it!
Write down as many things as you can think of that you feel thankful for. What a wonderfully blessed person you are.
Write down everything that is worrying you. The more details, the better. Imagine the absolute worse. When, finished, tear out this page from your journal. Throw it into the trash. Sip your cup of warm milk or tea and breathe. Just be.
- The Warm Milk Journal Has moved !
- Expect The Unexpected
- Eating That Elephant One Little Bite At A Time
- Finding Our Voice: Speaking Up For Ourselves
- “Tension is who you think you should be. Relaxation is who you are. Breathe”- Japanese Saying
- Feeling Overwhelmed On Our “Low” Days
- “In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety”-Psalm 4:8
- Setting Ourselves A Deadline: A simple tip for de-stressing and getting better sleep
- The Mew Way:To Nap or Not To Nap? Mew says: “nap!”
- Guess what my daughter just gave me for Mother’s Day?
- Journal Writing: the benefits of keeping different kinds of journals
- Looking Forward To A Good Night Sleep Tonight
- Benefits of Journal Writing
- creative writing
- Heartwarming Stories
- journal writing
- Physical Exercises
- The Mew Way
- The Warm Milk Journal
- Tips to help insomnia