Mandalas: Coloring as Meditation
There is something very relaxing about coloring. As a student I always seemed to be doodling on my notebook while listening to a teacher’s lecture. I teach second graders. Sometimes I will put something out for the kids to color when they need to be calm and regain their focus. I am not sure what the science is behind this, but it seems that coloring does calm our nervous systems down. It gives our minds something to focus on too, in a very relaxing way.
When you are anxious and can’t sleep at night, I highly recommend drawing and coloring. I have a set of high quality pastels that I use to draw abstract-like pictures. I just enjoy the combinations of color, lines, and shapes. It truly relaxes me.
If you want to color something that is drawn already for you, I recommend mandala coloring pages. Mandala is a Sanskrit word that means “whole world” or “healing circle”. Mandalas are usually in a circle with all kinds of intricate patterns to color in and meditate on.
You can find Mandala coloring books at the main bookstores and websites. One website I have used recently for my classroom is http://www.coloringcastle.com/mandala-coloring-pages.html. They allow you to download Mandala coloring pages for free. There are many sites out there. Have fun looking. You can print several pages ahead of time so that when you are up late with insomnia you just have them at the ready.
No comments yet.
- The Warm Milk Journal Has moved !
- Expect The Unexpected
- Eating That Elephant One Little Bite At A Time
- Finding Our Voice: Speaking Up For Ourselves
- “Tension is who you think you should be. Relaxation is who you are. Breathe”- Japanese Saying
- Feeling Overwhelmed On Our “Low” Days
- “In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety”-Psalm 4:8
- Setting Ourselves A Deadline: A simple tip for de-stressing and getting better sleep
- The Mew Way:To Nap or Not To Nap? Mew says: “nap!”
- Guess what my daughter just gave me for Mother’s Day?
- Journal Writing: the benefits of keeping different kinds of journals
- Looking Forward To A Good Night Sleep Tonight
- Benefits of Journal Writing
- creative writing
- Heartwarming Stories
- journal writing
- Physical Exercises
- The Mew Way
- The Warm Milk Journal
- Tips to help insomnia